General Operating Rules
The following rules shall be adhered to at all times on all CH&FR
Employees and guests should also consult the relevant Employee
Timetable for specific rules governing the Subdivision they will be
visiting or operating on. In no case shall a rule spelled out in
an Employee Timetable supersede these General Rules.
- The safety of crew, passengers, workers and civilians is
paramount. No operations are permitted that would compromise the
safety of anyone. This rule supersedes all other rules.
This rule is referred to as "GOR#1" elsewhere in this document.
- No operations which would damage equipment is permitted, except
where avoiding equipment damage would result in a safety hazard to
personnel or bystanders.
- No unauthorized personnel are permitted to operate the
equipment. Untrained guests must be directly supervised by the
Train Master or a trained employee designated by the Train Master.
- Chain of Command shall be strictly followed. The Train
Master is the final authority on all operations and activities on the
Railroad. The Conductor is in charge of the operation of the
train, and the Engineer is in charge of the Locomotive Consist.
Disputes between the Conductor and Engineer shall be resolved in
accordance with these rules, or arbitrated by the Train Master.
- No Train may exceed the posted maximum speeds without the express
permission and supervision of the Train Master. No Train Order or
Track Warrant may authorize exceeding the posted speed limits unless
personally signed by the Train Master.
- Switches and other operator controls shall be operated in
accordance with the specific rules set out in the relevant subsections
of the Employee Timetable.
- No Train may be intentionally crashed or derailed, except as
necessary to conform to GOR#1 above.
Rolling stock must be kept on the
track or in storage at all times.
No handling of rolling stock except
for coupling/uncoupling or re-railing.
- No alcoholic beverages or other drugs are to be used during
railroad operations, nor for 12 hours prior to commencing operations
("12 hours bottle to throttle"). Employees or guests suspected of
abusing drugs or alcohol on or off duty shall be suspended indefinitely
and urged to seek counseling.
- No food or drink in the railroad operating area, except at
designated locations and with the permission of the Train Master.
- Despite all these seemingly onerous rules, employees and guests are encouraged to HAVE FUN!